Getting Your Website To The Top Of Google
10 SEO Tips Everyone With A Website Should Know
The following list consists of ten things everyone with a website should know to improve their visibility in search engines. These are the fundamental guidelines and when applied will give you a solid basis to start a long term Search Engine Optimisation campaign. These tips form the foundation of our SEO services that we provide to all of our clients.
1) A Keyword Rich Domain. Consider setting your website up with a domain that contains the sites main keywords. Search Engines give considerable weight to a website with keywords in the URL.
2) Keyword Rich, Relevant Inbound Links. There are many ways to get quality inbound links to your website. Link Exchanges, Directory Submissions, Article writing/marketing, Press Releases, Posting in forums and blogs. Obtaining inbound links will boost your rankings considerably.
3) Title Tag. The title tag on your page is the most powerful on page factor you can control as a webmaster. Carefully choose which keywords are going to go in here and remember that it will be read by humans as well as search engines.
4) Heading Tags. The second most important on page factor you can control is the heading tags (h1, h2, h3, etc). Not only are they useful for search engines to determine the context of your document, it is semantically sound HTML practice.
5) Keyword Rich Text. Decide on your primary keywords for each page and ensure they feature regularly within the content.
6) Structured Navigation. Make it easy for search engines to index your entire site. Use a text link navigation. If this is not possible, use a sitemap or second text navigation in the footer of your site.
7) Bold, Strong and Emphasis Tags. While there is no set answer to which carries more weight, assume that both are the same. Emphasize keywords in bold using the BOLD or STRONG tags. Search engines give more weight to keywords if they are emphasized.
8 ) Keyword Rich Internal Links. Use your sites main keywords in the anchor text when linking to pages within your site. This not only describes the link to your visitors, it also lets the search engines know what content is on the page being linked to.
9) Avoid Flash. While some search engines claim that they can index some flash content, it is still in its infancy. An entire website does not need to be built in flash. Use it wisely and make sure any text that is output by flash is rendered as HTML text so search engines can see it. If possible, avoid flash completely.
10) Avoid Duplicate content. Search Engines do not like duplicate content. Make sure all the content on your website is different on all pages. Many navigation elements, headers, footers etc. is the same, but make sure that each page has marginally more unique content. Some search engines give a penalty for duplicate content, while others just ignore it. Just make your content unique. If anything else, it benefits your site visitors.